The Yale Conservation Scholars - Early Leadership Initiative (YCS-ELI) is a summer program for undergraduates from diverse backgrounds historically underrepresented in environmental institutions. Each scholar spends the summer in Connecticut, New York, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, and possibly overseas, participating in an exciting environmental internship.
The program begins with orientation. Scholars attend a virtual meeting in April to discuss program logistics. The two-day orientation will occur in May; it may be in person or virtual, depending on the pandemic. Scholars will be notified of the date and type of orientation when they are offered a spot in the program.
Why YCS-ELI at YSE?
- Competitive stipend
- Option to extend for a second summer
- Possibility of returning for a third summer as an alumni assistant
- Explore the state of Connecticut
- Free career consultation and professional development help
- Form lasting friendships and connections with students across the country
- Chance to travel and explore a unique ecosystem
- Access and partial funding to the groundbreaking New Horizons in Conservation Conference
Why spend your summer in Connecticut?
- The food. New Haven Apizza is legendary; Louie’s Lunch is the birthplace of the modern hamburger, and lobster rolls are a New England staple. (source, source)
- America’s oldest operating amusement park, Lake Compounce, is in Bristol, CT. (source)
- New Haven boasts many different artistic venues, from the Yale Repertory Theater, The Shubert Theater, The Yale University Art Gallery, The Symphony Orchestra at Woolsey Hall, or even the best dive venue in New England, Toad’s Place. (source)
- Many historical locations are within a day’s drive, including Plymouth Rock, Boston, New York City, Salem, and the Rhode Island Cliff Walk. (source)
- Located on Long Island Sound, Connecticut is surrounded by beaches, nature trails, boating, and birding. (source)
What are the 2022 program dates?
2022 Program Dates
May 31 – July 30, 2022
2022 Tentative Application Dates
Application Opens October 20, 2021
Priority Date is January 10, 2022*
(*Complete applications will be reviewed, and offers will be made beginning after the priority date.)
Application Closes January 31, 2022, 11:59 pm Eastern Time
Final notification of selection: February 28, 2022